As a small Scottish business we recognise the importance of a ‘Living Wage’. We invest in our employees and believe the benefits far outweigh the costs.
By supporting those on the lowest incomes we see the real difference the living wage can make to our employees. Here at Gillies and Mackay our minimum hourly rate for any employee over 16 years of age is £8.00 per hour.
Since changing the Pay Scale in April this year we have seen; improved productivity, no absenteeism and far better staff confidence. We have experienced staff taking on more responsibilities and thriving to do well for the business and themselves. This comes from showing gratitude and worth to those who give their time and effort everyday to our business.
On the same day the Scottish Government became the first ‘Living Wage’ Accredited Government, we at Gillies and Mackay registered to be officially accredited employers too.
By March 2016 the target for Scottish businesses officially registered as Living Wage Accredited Employers is 500 businesses. If you are already paying the ‘Living Wage’, register your business by visiting: http://scottishlivingwage.org/accreditation
The benefits to be gained from the being a living wage employer include: –
- 80% of employers believe that the Living Wage has enhanced the quality of the work of their staff
- 66% of employers reported a significant impact on recruitment and retention within their organisation
- 70% of employers felt that the Living Wage had increased consumer awareness of their organisation’s commitment to be an ethical employer
- A 25% fall in absenteeism
- Improved loyalty and customer service
- Fewer complaints
There are over 300,000 Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) operating in Scotland, providing an estimated 1.1 million jobs. SME’s have the power to drive our economy forward by representing fairness and equality for all.
**Current Living Wage = £7.85ph (£8.00ph much easier to calculate 😉 What’s 15p between friends)